- British Columbia NationTalk
- Ontario NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
- Quebec NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
Parliamentary Secretary Mark Strahl Emphasizes the Importance of First Nations Partnerships at BC Mineral Exploration and Mining Forum
January 26, 2015 – Vancouver, BC – Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
Mark Strahl, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development, today delivered opening remarks at the 31st annual Mineral Exploration Roundup in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Parliamentary Secretary Strahl highlighted the significant initiatives the Government of Canada has undertaken to create an efficient and predictable environmental assessment process, while also highlighting the importance of exploration and mining to the Canadian economy.
During his address, Parliamentary Secretary Strahl highlighted the importance of economic opportunities created by Canada’s mining sector and its benefits to Northerners and First Nation communities and underscored the Government of Canada’s efforts to enable First Nations to take advantage of these economic opportunities. These efforts include funding initiatives aimed at providing personalized job readiness support and skills training to Aboriginal youth.
Parliamentary Secretary Strahl also emphasized the economic benefits of mineral exploration in Canada’s North and the efforts of the Government of Canada, and the importance of its Action Plan to Improve Northern Regulatory Regimes, which will add efficiency, predictability and clarity to the regulatory process in the North.
- Economic Action Plan 2014 provided $13.6 million over two years to support Aboriginal consultations on resource development projects.
- The Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia (AME-BC) brings together prospectors, geoscientists, investors, suppliers and those interested in the mineral exploration industry every January in Vancouver.
- The Government of Canada, through the Strategic Partnerships Initiative provided $100,000 towards supporting First Nation participation in this year’s Mineral Exploration Roundup event.
- Recent legislation represents important progress in implementing Canada’s Northern Strategy, including: the Northern Jobs and Growth Act, the Yukon Surface Board Act, the Mackenzie Valley Resources Management Act, and Bill S-6, the Yukon and Nunavut Regulatory Improvement Act.
“Canada’s mining industry is an important economic driver that creates high paying jobs in Aboriginal and Northern communities. We are proud to support initiatives, such as the Mineral Exploration Roundup, that will help develop true partnerships and create long term benefits for all Canadians.”
– Mark Strahl,
Parliamentary Secretary, for Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development
Office of the Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development
Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @AANDCanada
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: